Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Killing Fields

I just got out of my Holocaust and Genocide class. We started talking about the Cambodian Genocide after about an hour and a half of lecture about Pol Pot and his use of kids and teenagers to fill the Khmer Rouge and his "ethnic cleansing" of all intellectuals to rebuild a better communist Cambodia. The second half was a watching the first half of The Killing Fields. A movie that is based off of a true story of a reporter and what he and his translator went through in Cambodia.



Needless to say the movie left us all feeling quite a bit somber. Next weeks class is optional, being the day before thanksgiving. I'm going because we are going to watch the second half of the movie. And I'm writing my term research paper on the Cambodian Genocide.

I've also read this book called, First They Killed My Father. It's a first hand account by the author of what her family had to go through to survive as upper class Cambodian citizens. It's sad but a good and eye opening read. I have it if you want to borrow it.

No comments: